Graphic Arts Services & Requests

The GASR Exchange

Buy and sell files, videos, and url products via the GASR Exchange, a user-to-user marketplace now open on GASR!!

2018 UPDATES & INFORMATION

Welcome to the year 2018!!  We come with lots of updates, upcoming features, and information.  Please review our announcement topic for information about all the changes that are happening this month!

Join GASR's Post Profile Design Contest! Prizes include 6, 3, and 1 month elite memberships, a custom title, ad space, and your design being implemented on GASR!
Lazy

[Poll] Keep shops together or separate?

Shop Separating  

228 members have voted

1. 1. Would you prefer art shops be separated by medium (Traditional or Digital, Drawing/Painting or Pixels, etc.) or keep all shops mixed together?

Lazy    3,696

Just wanted to get a quick consensus on a common request.  Example in the next post.  If you wanna change your vote, just choose another option.  It'll change your vote, not record it twice.

2 hours ago, Lazy said:

Let me actually set it up with how it would look if it were implemented:

Forum Section (No Clicks)  |  Sub-section (1 Click)  |  Category (1 Click)

• Custom Shops
    • Traditional
    • Digital
      • Drawing/Painting
      • Bitmap/Pixels
      • Graphics & Design
    • 3D Rendering & Files
    • Physical Goods
  • Premade Shops
    • Traditional
    • Digital
      • Drawing/Painting
      • Bitmap/Pixels
      • Graphics & Design
    • 3D Rendering & Files
    • Physical Goods
  • Free Shops
    • Traditional
    • Digital
      • Drawing/Painting
      • Bitmap/Pixels
      • Graphics & Design
    • 3D Rendering & Files
    • Physical Goods

Lazy    3,696

I got some questions about what exactly this means, so let me go over it real quick.

When I say separate, I mean have  section for custom, premade, and free shops.  Once you click on those sections, you'll have option trees to guide you to what type of artwork you want.  Here is an example of a shop tree we can add.

• Traditional
    • No additional trees since this is not a large area on GASR yet
  • Digital
    • Drawing/Painting
    • Bitmap (Pixels)
    • Graphics & Design
      • No trees, but what would be sold here are listed below:
        • Logo Design, Business Cards, & Stationery

• Flyers & Posters (Premade designs can be sold in the GASR Exchange)

• T-Shirt Designs

• Social Media Design

• Banners

• Editing/Photo manipulation (IMVU screenshot edits and repaints.)

• Infographics

• Vectors (Premade designs can be sold in the GASR Exchange)

• Stock (Premade designs can be sold in the GASR Exchange)

• 3D Rendering & Files

• No additional trees since this is not a large area on GASR yet

• Physical Goods

• No additional trees since this is not a large area on GASR yet, but to give some ideas: t-shirts, homemade goods, other arts & crafts.

This is just an idea to organize the forum better (as well as the Exchange) to make the website easier to navigate. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Sherbetron    145

I think the use of tagging posts is enough. Over-organising can get tedious. :llnom: 

There's a search bar already, and it has plenty of filters to find specific shops. Some sub-sub-sub-sections will be almost completely empty, because it was created just for a couple of people with the idea. It'd also make it hard for shops with multiple types of art, because they wouldn't fit into any one section. I know these struggles from trying to over-organise files on my computer, I ended up losing work because I actually didn't know where to save them LMAO

• Like 3

Plague    250
20 hours ago, Lazy said:

I personally would prefer this idea, I know loads of people are probably opossed to it and it makes sense. But for me personally sometimes i just want to be able to find a certain type of artist without having to rumage around 6 pages of shops. I know there is the tagging system but me included not everyone tags their shops properly. So I'm for it

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Lazy    3,696
5 minutes ago, Sherbetron said:

I think the use of tagging posts is enough. Over-organising can get tedious. :llnom: 

There's a search bar already, and it has plenty of filters to find specific shops. Some sub-sub-sub-sections will be almost completely empty, because it was created just for a couple of people with the idea. It'd also make it hard for shops with multiple types of art, because they wouldn't fit into any one section. I know these struggles from trying to over-organise files on my computer, I ended up losing work because I actually didn't know where to save them LMAO

I don't think you understand fully what I'm asking though, because I'm not creating sub sections for every type of art, I'm just organizing them in mediums.

There are two main styles we have with digital.  Drawing/Painting and Pixels.  Those are only two categories.  They would not be split any further than that, because like you said, it would be over organization.  Graphics and design would be its own category as well, with whats listed under it being what would primarily be sold there. 

The only thing that would really be separated are drawining/paintings, pixels, and IMVU edits/repaints, because those are all three different mediums and 99% of the artists here don't mix.  The ones that do mix (make art in some or all three of those) make separate shops for each already, so there would literally be no change except that those shops would now move from one section mixed with every shop available to its own section where it can be easily identified.

However, tagging can't be used to argue or determine this change, unfortunately.  Tagging is absolutely useless like Plague said.  Majority of our users do not know how to tag, or they're more interested in promoting themselves instead of the artwork they sell.  Just looking in the art shops, I see people tagging useless things, such as their own avatar name, their social media handles, their own shop name, or undefining tags like "art".  What does tagging art do to help your shop?  You can already search for a username and a shop title, so those are also useless things.  People also use terms like "dp" instead of portrait, or "scratch" instead of drawings/painting.  

I've looked at the search data since we opened back in October, and I'm telling you from our own technical stand point, the tagging system has been rendered useless and is now only here to please those who wanted a tagging system in the first place.

8eabe4830bc8143f943866dc6a911eac.png
c56af3fcfeff196de18c2efd39487b0c.png

61524d29a18e587270d3cdb35affbc1f.png
5390dc8da7e40e085f50d5a2bdecc289.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Lazy    3,696

Let me actually set it up with how it would look if it were implemented:

Forum Section (No Clicks)  |  Sub-section (1 Click)  |  Category (1 Click)

• Custom Shops
    • Traditional
    • Digital
      • Drawing/Painting
      • Bitmap/Pixels
      • Graphics & Design
    • 3D Rendering & Files
    • Physical Goods
  • Premade Shops
    • Traditional
    • Digital
      • Drawing/Painting
      • Bitmap/Pixels
      • Graphics & Design
    • 3D Rendering & Files
    • Physical Goods
  • Free Shops
    • Traditional
    • Digital
      • Drawing/Painting
      • Bitmap/Pixels
      • Graphics & Design
    • 3D Rendering & Files
    • Physical Goods
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Angie    16

I agree with Plague. I really like this idea because it honestly takes so long to find an artist that does X style. I have to look in each shop to see what type they do and etc.

Also, I think this will bring other types of artists to GASR. & I see a few more things were added like Physical Goods and Graphics & Design. For Graphics & Design in specific there's a lot more things that most artists here aren't focusing on but has a lot of potential & could bring in a lot more public. I say this because I personally used to work in a printing shop and used to do business cards and such. People pay a lot to have original stuff and very creative styles. GASR has a lot to offer in that and it's a good idea to start exploring that. 

My humble opinion :ohreally:

• Like 2

Lazy    3,696
17 minutes ago, Angie said:

I agree with Plague. I really like this idea because it honestly takes so long to find an artist that does X style. I have to look in each shop to see what type they do and etc.

Also, I think this will bring other types of artists to GASR. & I see a few more things were added like Physical Goods and Graphics & Design. For Graphics & Design in specific there's a lot more things that most artists here aren't focusing on but has a lot of potential & could bring in a lot more public. I say this because I personally used to work in a printing shop and used to do business cards and such. People pay a lot to have original stuff and very creative styles. GASR has a lot to offer in that and it's a good idea to start exploring that. 

My humble opinion :ohreally:

Your opinion is hella appreciated, 'cause I don't think people realize that they're holding themselves back.  People want GASR to grow and want new artists with new things to offer, but the moment we say "hey, let's make it easier for them to know they're welcome here", everyone is like "I DON'T LIKE CHANGE."

Change is inevitable.  You either adapt or get left behind.  There's a reason why websites and companies that get stuck in their ways end up crashing and burning.  GASR's motto has always claimed in some aspect that this is a place for all artists and art lovers alike regardless of where they come from.  We shouldn't close off the website to people from mostly IMVU backgrounds because we're used to something working a specific way.  If something doesn't work, it doesn't work.  We can always go back or try something else, but to not try at all will ultimately be the death of this website that so many people call home.  :(

• Like 6

Sherbetron    145

@Lazy
Makes sensu, I'm not being negative nancy I just search tags a lot, honestly. So I figured they were used more.
I also realised like 5 minutes after my post earlier that the trees weren't the actual sections, I've spent the whole night/morning working out custom models for VR Chat so my brain is a little fried, my bad. :llaaaa:
 I literally thought that entire drop-down were the categories even though it says they're not

• Like 2

Lazy    3,696
11 minutes ago, Sherbetron said:

@Lazy
Makes sensu, I'm not being negative nancy I just search tags a lot, honestly. So I figured they were used more.
I also realised like 5 minutes after my post earlier that the trees weren't the actual sections, I've spent the whole night/morning working out custom models for VR Chat so my brain is a little fried, my bad. :llaaaa:
 I literally thought that entire drop-down were the categories even though it says they're not

It's okay, I don't take differing opinions as people being negative unless they come off aggressive.  

But yeah, I can see how intimidating the list is if you think those details would be their own sections.  That's just too much, LOL.  I can make those as categories in the GASR Exchange to keep it organised, but there's no reason to have them in the actual forum.

• Haha 1

Demon    150

At first, I also was riding with the thought that it would be too much organizing but after the extra run-down and some more thought I think separating the shops like this would be a great idea. The search button is useful, but at the same time this feature would be helpful too, if you want pixel art you would just click through the tree for a complete array of pixel shops. It minimizes the need to scour a huge bulk of shops under one broad category and leaves the search option as a last resort.

kyles    333

at first i thought "im not sure..." but then chelly did the thing with the colors and visuals and it just makes more sense that way.

cause i know sometimes im like "i kinda want a pixel" but having to sift through 20+ shops makes me go "nah"

i know the thumbnail itself can kind of help with that but having it sorted this way would make a lazy bitch like me happy :klovee:

kojo    101

So I honestly voted keep it the same but seeing the breakdown of how it would look etc + the explanations given

:oaplus: :oaplus: 

I changed vote to separate it cause less headaches when searching for a certain type of art.

Initially i figured tags would do this job, but seeing how it would work makes so much more sense and every 100x's easier.

:iperfect:

Lazy    3,696

I wish we could get more feedback from the users voting against this.  If it's because you're still unsure, I'd rather try to explain it again instead of a vote being wasted on uncertainty.

Hope    282

Hey hello!  I'm one of the people still being unsure! :bfstar:

Okay, so I definitely understand the system that you mean! Its not a matter of me not understanding it :fingerguns:

But I'm on the edge. I love looking through a variety of shops and stumbing upon things I wouldnt have searched for. 

Would preset Tags that you'll have to use work? if tagging is as useless as that I think that would be a good change anyway..

I'm still on the edge because of that. I won't search for things when I'm just strolling through, and will most likely miss things I otherwise would have found. 

So. Is there a possibility of maybe having both solutions at once?

Have me click Premades and I see all premade topics, UNLESS I click on the next filter up above, saying traditional/ digital.

Then I'd see all search results for that, UNLESS I click the next filter.

That way you get both, having it "mixed" but yet sorted, and you can easily search for  that specific shop/ those specific shops but people could also keep an overview if they'd prefer it that way. You know what I mean?

UNLESS THAT was planned anyways. Cause thats one thing that I do think would please everyone. And omg I'd love that. I could just look through all, or filter if I'm searching for something specific. I don't know how much or if that would work at all, or if that was planned anways. So I'd love to hear about that!

Sadistic    292

I personally don’t like this for the simple fact I like to browse all art and having to search through multiple sections is not fun... I like being able to click premade and seeing all shops.. some people do many different styles not just one and I know I don’t want to have to post multiple shops for different styles. I like it how it is. Adding a bunch of sub sections just complicates things.. makes me have to sit here and decide what I want to look at instead of seeing all the premades in one place.. 

Lazy    3,696
7 minutes ago, Hope said:

Hey hello!  I'm one of the people still being unsure! :bfstar:

Okay, so I definitely understand the system that you mean! Its not a matter of me not understanding it :fingerguns:

But I'm on the edge. I love looking through a variety of shops and stumbing upon things I wouldnt have searched for. 

Would preset Tags that you'll have to use work? if tagging is as useless as that I think that would be a good change anyway..

I'm still on the edge because of that. I won't search for things when I'm just strolling through, and will most likely miss things I otherwise would have found. 

So. Is there a possibility of maybe having both solutions at once?

Have me click Premades and I see all premade topics, UNLESS I click on the next filter up above, saying traditional/ digital.

Then I'd see all search results for that, UNLESS I click the next filter.

That way you get both, having it "mixed" but yet sorted, and you can easily search for  that specific shop/ those specific shops but people could also keep an overview if they'd prefer it that way. You know what I mean?

UNLESS THAT was planned anyways. Cause thats one thing that I do think would please everyone. And omg I'd love that. I could just look through all, or filter if I'm searching for something specific. I don't know how much or if that would work at all, or if that was planned anways. So I'd love to hear about that!

I think what you're asking is to search by tags?  And if that's what it is, you can already do that

https://gasrforum.net/tags/art

The search function is being updated within the next few weeks to improve on this as it currently is limited by mysql's architecture, but the basic function of tag searching is still there.  If that's not what you mean, could you explain it a bit more?  I'm still a little confused.  

Tag searching disregards the hierarchy of the forum system, so even if you searched for "premade", all shops tagged with premades, regardless of traditional, digital, etc. will be listed on one page.

Lazy    3,696
7 minutes ago, Sadistic said:

I personally don’t like this for the simple fact I like to browse all art and having to search through multiple sections is not fun... I like being able to click premade and seeing all shops.. some people do many different styles not just one and I know I don’t want to have to post multiple shops for different styles. I like it how it is. Adding a bunch of sub sections just complicates things.. makes me have to sit here and decide what I want to look at instead of seeing all the premades in one place.. 

Could you please read the previous posts as I've explained already that we are NOT separating artwork by style, only medium.

• Like 1

Amy    313
Posted (edited)

hmmmm i dunno, we have tags like previously mentioned, maybe that should be something thats more expanded on rather than us having to click multiple types through sections?

design wise it seems a bit too clunky to have multiple sub sections, there are just so many, some of which people might not even use and would end up just being empty space (ATM). i think there could be something like a filter system instead, where people who make topics are required to select from a list of pre-set categories which one their shop matches, and people could just use tick boxes when searching to filter things out. we could do this while also keeping the tagging system for more specific things, so for example when u use tags u would search "anime" but if u want pixels u could just tick the filter that says pixels. so that way u could only be shown pixel shops but still have the option to use the tag "anime" to get anime pixels. ya catch my drift? its kind of like how online shopping works i guess? :cutehehed: i guess this sort of view is like saying "here ya go, have everything, but if u need something specific heres a way to find it" 

Edited by Amy
clarity
  • Like 1

Hope    282

@Lazy Oh no, Haha. I mean't that the Tag system should be updated regardless, because of how useless it became. LOL. 

Was just a random suggestions since its become more then clear that its used the wrong way. 

EITHER WAY. I'll try to explain it a bit better with colors, as you did! 

Only taking one example so its easier:

Let's have this

Custom Shops

• Traditional
  • Digital
    • Drawing/Painting
    • Bitmap/Pixels
    • Graphics & Design
  • 3D Rendering & Files
  • Physical Goods
 Once I click on " digital" in the custom shops I'll be brought to 3 options to choose from. Right?

Now, I like to just browse through various shops, in a " mixed " sense as we have it now so I stumble upon things I probably wouldnt have searhed for. Kind of like window shopping in real life is. I don't go to a bathing soap store, because it simply doesnt interest me. But if I walk by I might see something I actually like, or can get for my friend.

Many people do the same online, and even on here. I assume, plenty of the " no" sayers like to do the same, if I look at what has been written in here. 

So I say, maybe create a middle ground of mixed as we have it now, and sorted like you want to implement. That way it works for both sides, and definitely is an update for GASR itself into the right direction. 
How? :

Once I click on the subcategory " Digital" I'd love to see all digital art shops in a mixed manner, as it is now, but STILL have the next subcategories to choose from at the top of the page. So I CAN go down and scroll through the most recent topics in a mixed manner, " Window shopping", OR I can stay at the top of the page to further choose  " Drawing/Painting" " Bitmap / Pixels" or "Graphics & Design" 

Like : 
  • Digital
  •  Drawing/Painting     
  • Bitmap/Pixels
  • Graphics & Design
 :blush:  Art shop Pixels                                                      Last post1 min ago
 :bapplause: Art shop Drawing                                                  Last post 2 min ago
:bhee: Art shop Painting                                                    Last post 3 min ago
:boh: Art shop Graphics & Design                                  Last post 5 min ago

But once I click on the subcategory " Drawing /Paiting" its like that:

Digital - Drawing & Painting

:okkkkkcute: Art shop Drawing                                        Last post 3 min ago
:byes:  Art shop Drawing                                                    Last post 5 min ago
 :cutehehehaaas: Art Shop Painting                                                        Last post 6 min ago
 :bsnooze: Art shop Drawing                                                        Lats post 10 min ago

That way I have refined search results if I need them or WANT them, or I can just go look through all mixed shops if I only wanna look at all digital artworks. 

I can refine, but I must not if I don't want to. 

Idk if it has been planned to be that way or not, or if it'll just be choose subcategories first to be able to browse. 

If its like I mentioned above I'm ALL for this. If its only " choose category first" to browse then it'll feel a bit too overly organized for me, and I'll probably miss plenty shops that I would have stumbled upon beforehand. 

I hope you understand what I mean better now! Forgive my poor attempt to recreate the forum in a simple table hahaha. I tried! :oobih:

• Like 4