Graphic Arts Services & Requests

The GASR Exchange

Buy and sell files, videos, and url products via the GASR Exchange, a user-to-user marketplace now open on GASR!!

2018 UPDATES & INFORMATION

Welcome to the year 2018!!  We come with lots of updates, upcoming features, and information.  Please review our announcement topic for information about all the changes that are happening this month!

Join GASR's Post Profile Design Contest! Prizes include 6, 3, and 1 month elite memberships, a custom title, ad space, and your design being implemented on GASR!
Lazy

Email Update

Pandas    183

I think this is a good idea.

Personally, I would forget to uncheck the notification box when i posted things, so my email would get cluttered with a lot of emails of people posting.

Also, I would find myself reading the information and then kinda forgetting about it until much later. With me only seeing notifications when I log onto the website, I'm more likely to reply to/notice whatever it is than just glance at an email on my phone.

I dunno, this is a good idea, and the resources used for sending out countless emails daily can be saved to be used for other things/site improvements.

• Like 4

Lazy    3,696
7 minutes ago, Pandas said:

I think this is a good idea.

Personally, I would forget to uncheck the notification box when i posted things, so my email would get cluttered with a lot of emails of people posting.

Also, I would find myself reading the information and then kinda forgetting about it until much later. With me only seeing notifications when I log onto the website, I'm more likely to reply to/notice whatever it is than just glance at an email on my phone.

I dunno, this is a good idea, and the resources used for sending out countless emails daily can be saved to be used for other things/site improvements.

That's the plan!  We already send out digest emails roughly every 10-15 minutes for daily "This is what happened today" emails, which is a better way to receive the information at once, instead of our mail server constantly having to send an email every time someone gets mentioned(tagged) or quoted in a post.  We'd rather the resource focus on sending important emails, such as purchase information/invoices, support ticket responses, and account changes.

• Like 3

Pandas    183
2 minutes ago, Lazy said:

That's the plan!  We already send out digest emails roughly every 10-15 minutes for daily "This is what happened today" emails, which is a better way to receive the information at once, instead of our mail server constantly having to send an email every time someone gets a tag or quoted in a post.  We'd rather the resource focus on sending important emails, such as purchase information/invoices, support ticket responses, and account changes.

I use the weekly digests for some threads and they're great. 

I much rather be able to find important GASR emails like those listed above quickly and efficiently than having to sift through countless "so and so posted here," "so and so tagged you here" emails. 

It's really not hard to log onto the website just to see what's going on, as opposed to logging on just because you got an email. (of course, that's just my opinion on the matter)

• Like 3

Pey    387

Also it's worth remembering that a lot of the emails notifications that have been removed weren't available on the old forum anyway. Some were trialled and didn't quite work out to be worth it.

The notification system on the new forum is still way more advanced than what we had before!

(p.s merry xmas every1 xoxox) 

• Like 4

Lazy    3,696

Disabling the emails for mentions alone brought our footprint down tremendously, so I know for a fact that is one of the last options we'd bring back for the time being.

I don't expect everyone to be happy about this change, but we have to make sure GASR runs as efficiently as possible, and after sitting down and going over the data, this was ultimately the decision to try and balance resource usage for the time being.

GASR is growing a lot faster than anticipated, and I need to keep usage regulated to match it, which in turn provides you a functioning GASR.  It's kinda my job to make these decisions, even if you don't agree with them sometimes.  If we stay on track with the growth, like planned, we may be able to add back the options.  It's not out of the question to get an even better server in the future if needed.  We didn't expect GASR to do a complete 360 and sky rocket into a booming website, and I'm not complaining either!  :)

• Like 5

Cymette    368

I noticed that I was no longer receiving e-mail notifications over the course of yesterday evening, which I attributed to part of the notification system's maintenance. The notifications I used were for  a new post in a topic I follow and for when I received a PM. I am disappointed to know that this feature will be lost. I can only speak for myself, but I personally loved and used the e-mail notification system regularly. While I do usually have GASR open anytime I have my laptop open, I found that the e-mail notifications not only came in more quickly but were also more reliable. On one occasion, I did contact staff regarding issues with my GASR notifications and the only way I received notifications at all during that time was through the e-mail system. While the issue I was having did eventually resolve itself, I have still experienced some bugs with the notifications on GASR so I have primarily been relying on my e-mail notifications. I hope and I trust that these issues were addressed during maintenance, but I am apprehensive moving forward with the change to the e-mail settings (that said I'll also openly admit that I'm someone resistant to change).

I do understand how that amount of e-mails could be a huge drain on resources (as much as a non-tech person can), so I'll trust the staff's decision to discontinue these notifications settings. 
:ogoodshi:

• Like 4

Lazy    3,696
6 minutes ago, Cymette said:

I noticed that I was no longer receiving e-mail notifications over the course of yesterday evening, which I attributed to part of the notification system's maintenance. The notifications I used were for  a new post in a topic I follow and for when I received a PM. I am disappointed to know that this feature will be lost. I can only speak for myself, but I personally loved and used the e-mail notification system regularly. While I do usually have GASR open anytime I have my laptop open, I found that the e-mail notifications not only came in more quickly but were also more reliable. On one occasion, I did contact staff regarding issues with my GASR notifications and the only way I received notifications at all during that time was through the e-mail system. While the issue I was having did eventually resolve itself, I have still experienced some bugs with the notifications on GASR so I have primarily been relying on my e-mail notifications. I hope and I trust that these issues were addressed during maintenance, but I am apprehensive moving forward with the change to the e-mail settings (that said I'll also openly admit that I'm someone resistant to change).

I do understand how that amount of e-mails could be a huge drain on resources (as much as a non-tech person can), so I'll trust the staff's decision to discontinue these notifications settings. 
:ogoodshi:

Thanks for the feedback!  I used email notifications myself, especially for posts in a topic I follow (I only follow staff related topics, so if someone posted in them, it was important), so I'm affected personally by this change as well, but I'll have to adjust until we get to a point that we can allow more email notifications.

I'll make note of the ones used most by members to know where to start come next year.  :thumbsup:

• Like 2

kojo    101

Oh thank god for this.. I was constantly getting emails(late tho tbh..like HOURS later via gmail, pretty sure was gmails fault tho) with basically every uhm "new post in thread you follow" or "someone followed you". I dont mind it, nor did I until it became too much :/ I had to set everything to message me one time a day and even then it was a hassle. Cleaning this up was honestly a good idea and i'm very grateful to you guys for doing this! 

As for one I use most/would have liked kept, I would say the @ mentions. Not that I got many of them, but it was pretty helpful, even though i log on here daily to check notifications. I liked knowing via an email "Aye got someone trying to get a hold of you or whatever the reason was for the @" . 

• Like 2

Plague    250

Going to sound like a bitch but so is life:

Do people ever not complain about changes, oh gasr has a new owner (9000 complaints) oh gasr changed this (90000 complaints) I don't like this, change it back...

I mean really, you have tapatalk, you have the gasr website. I personally think it's a great idea because most of my emails consisted of crap I didn't even need and could have checked via the website or app. Sorry but agree with Panda's I'd rather have important Gasr emails, things that actually benefit me. As much as I love knowing people follow me, or someones liked my status etc, I really don't need email updates for it.  Even Chelly said this change will affect her, it's not only members who having to give up the email luxury

I'm sorry if this sound rude. 

• Like 4

Slacker    25

I might be in the minority but I hate getting email notifications from here and I turned off all pretty much as soon as I realized how. I'm happy enough at the moment with the notifications I get when I come on the website itself. To be honest I don't understand why y'all even have email notifications... when you log on you can get notified of the same things if you understand my point so It just seems like double work to me.

• Like 2

Lazy    3,696
18 minutes ago, kojo said:

Oh thank god for this.. I was constantly getting emails(late tho tbh..like HOURS later via gmail, pretty sure was gmails fault tho) with basically every uhm "new post in thread you follow" or "someone followed you". I dont mind it, nor did I until it became too much :/ I had to set everything to message me one time a day and even then it was a hassle. Cleaning this up was honestly a good idea and i'm very grateful to you guys for doing this! 

As for one I use most/would have liked kept, I would say the @ mentions. Not that I got many of them, but it was pretty helpful, even though i log on here daily to check notifications. I liked knowing via an email "Aye got someone trying to get a hold of you or whatever the reason was for the @" . 

It was probably a combination of both.  When digest emails go out, it takes roughly 8 minutes for the system to send the emails to 2k+ people who have the option, causing other emails to be queued up and not sent when the actual notification happened.  This is not something we can control.  It depends on many factors, including the mail service the member uses.  

3 minutes ago, Plague said:

Going to sound like a bitch but so is life:

Do people ever not complain about changes, oh gasr has a new owner (9000 complaints) oh gasr changed this (90000 complaints) I don't like this, change it back...

I mean really, you have tapatalk, you have the gasr website. I personally think it's a great idea because most of my emails consisted of crap I didn't even need and could have checked via the website or app. Sorry but agree with Panda's I'd rather have important Gasr emails, things that actually benefit me. As much as I love knowing people follow me, or someones liked my status etc, I really don't need email updates for it.  Even Chelly said this change will affect her, it's not only members who having to give up the email luxury

I'm sorry if this sound rude. 

It's okay Plague, I get the frustration, but you gotta expect people to complain.  We could hand everyone a solid gold bar and people would complain about not getting two.  :cry:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Lazy    3,696
3 minutes ago, Slacker said:

I might be in the minority but I hate getting email notifications from here and I turned off all pretty much as soon as I realized how. I'm happy enough at the moment with the notifications I get when I come on the website itself. To be honest I don't understand why y'all even have email notifications... when you log on you can get notified of the same things if you understand my point so It just seems like double work to me.

Yeah, just how I stated in the first post, it's just a luxury thing we could and wanted to offer.  We don't have to offer them period, but I didn't want to just completely take away all email notifications when some of them weren't really all that resource heavy.  

L0stM0nstur    17

I agree! it'd be a bunch of spam where no one would occasionally read or look at. Only if there's a notice or a warning to something.

RoyalJoJo    28

I would most miss @mentions and emails about posts I follow, just in case some thing is wrong with the notification system on site, It is a nice fall back net if something malfunctions you have the other to look to. I know it helped me when the site had a few updates as I didn't get on site notifications, but emails instead of artists telling me to send payment, helped them not have to wait for me to notice.  On the other hand, I am also one of those people who forget to un-check things and end up with a full mailbox :ohreally: That being said, if the more popularly used ones would be brought back in the future a master setup of what notifications you want emailed could help reduce the use of resources for those people who forget to un-check every time (I don't know if this master setting was an option as I just un-checked things every time I followed).  :aww:

Lazy    3,696
3 minutes ago, RoyalJoJo said:

I would most miss @mentions and emails about posts I follow, just in case some thing is wrong with the notification system on site, It is a nice fall back net if something malfunctions you have the other to look to. I know it helped me when the site had a few updates as I didn't get on site notifications, but emails instead of artists telling me to send payment, helped them not have to wait for me to notice.  On the other hand, I am also one of those people who forget to un-check things and end up with a full mailbox :ohreally: That being said, if the more popularly used ones would be brought back in the future a master setup of what notifications you want emailed could help reduce the use of resources for those people who forget to un-check every time (I don't know if this master setting was an option as I just un-checked things every time I followed).  :aww:

There are master settings:

https://gasrforum.net/notifications/options/

(You have to scroll down.)

Daejayeon    12

2 hours ago, Lazy said:

We didn't expect GASR to do a complete 360 and sky rocket into a booming website, and I'm not complaining either!  :)

♥♥Amen♥♥

It's amazing how much effort gets put into any one thing, but to think that there are thousands upon millions of little things that get done as well, not just for one user, but for everyone. It's beautiful.

Examples are as follows:

1. Animated Santa Sleigh at bottom of each users posted replay pic thing XD

2. A candy cane christmas themed border for all users.

And if you didn't notice, THESE ARE FREE, they don't have to be given to us users/members. I'm just happy how much it's grown and how much effort is put into us having an amazing forum we can appreciate and work with. <3

So I don't know if you get it a lot or not, but thank you to all Moderators/Staff that put that work in. We appreciate you for everything you do.

Happy Holidays, Darlings.

• Like 5

Moose    333

Email notifications were very very very important to me. On old GASR that is.

Now I have to remember I have an email to check, because all the notifications are right here. I don't need to have an email for every little thing. It's a mess. I probably had all of these off already anymoose.

• Like 2

Yandere    87

Honestly I check GASR more than I do my own email so...I do not mind.

It actually gives me less to go through  when I do check it, I like the change.

:fingerguns: