Taylor

Cancer Awareness Month [2019]

bottom fade.png
Info.png

Greetings GASRians and welcome to our annual Cancer Awareness Event!

There are more than a 100 types of cancer affecting millions of people around the world. Cancer is a disease wherein the body's cells divide and spread in an uncontrolled manner. These cells, which can appear almost anywhere in the body, disperse and destroy healthy body tissue.

Cancer develops when the mechanisms that control cell growth malfunction. Some cancers begin with the development of a tumor. Cancerous tumors are also known as malignant tumors. To be a malignant tumor means that the cells within the tumor can metastasize or spread to other locations within the body. 
Many cancers can be treated through invasive surgeries, radiation therapy, and chemotherapy. Treatments vary for the different stages and types of cancers. For example, leukemia and prostate cancer may only require monitoring so long as the cancer is slow growing. However, if aggressive, the cancer may then require radiation, chemotherapy, or surgeries.

We invite you all to help us give support to the individuals and families who have come face to face with cancer.

To participate, feel free to use one of the many overlays we've provided for you below as well as give some words to uplift and show your support.

We encourage you to share with the rest of the community why this is important to you, this includes: Stories, poems, and quotes. We'd also like to invite our members to to draw what cancer means to you. After this event has concluded we'd like to create a banner showcasing all of your artwork to show off all of your support.

Please put effort into these submissions. You're free to do one or several of these options, have fun!

Rules.png

🎗 Everyone can participate!

🎗 Pick at least one of the options we've listed above to receive the award.

🎗 Give credit where credit it is due.

🎗 If references are used please provide them with your submission.

🎗 Be creative and most importantly have fun!

dates.png

JULY 1ST  - JULY 15TH

Awards.png

All participants will receive the following award:

award.gif

Overlays.png

all_ca10.png&key=0cfa14827f8f9e0c75596d4

All Cancer/Survivors

breast10.png&key=49aff2fe87a7dbb79116a6b

Breast Cancer

lung_c10.png&key=e5acf5471b9e5fd7a6c3190

Lung Cancer

stomac10.png&key=7c4b01899aee11e13237e03

Stomach Cancer

leukem10.png&key=4444866f9b5a49fcc0cdb99

Leukemia

prosta10.png&key=bd0d709ec8eb761435cc848

Prostate Cancer

liver_10.png&key=3f3290e396a0c6fd055556c

Liver Cancer

brain_cancer_by_flikzz-dcfdne6.png&key=7

Brain Cancer

We thank you all for participating with us and hope that this event can help to spread awareness to our GASR members.

May you all have a blessed Cancer Awareness month!

If you need any help putting on an overlay, just post below and we can help you place it !

footer.png
  • Like 13

footer.png

PARTICIPANTS

🎗 Pupper

🎗 Naden

🎗 LilMooMoo

🎗 Taylor

🎗 Wrath

🎗 Nikki

🎗 AkiraMinami

🎗 Hopey

🎗 Fallon

🎗 Mya

🎗 Milkpaw

🎗 Plushie

🎗 XBoomXX

🎗 _RTBYNOUR

🎗 Darksiders

🎗 Tristekitten

🎗 Aernessy

🎗 Valkyrie

🎗 Cuddlebunny

🎗 Bugy

🎗 Scouts

🎗 Lizz

🎗 Sereani

🎗 Amputate

🎗 Nemesis

🎗 Kirschie

🎗 Katoxpinyin

🎗 ISow

🎗 Michelle

🎗 Krystal

🎗 Hailie

🎗 Ariana

🎗 Emmzi

🎗 Mitch

🎗 Lilmoomoo

🎗 Luxor

🎗 Demonia

🎗 Crystals

🎗 Levudazed

🎗 Flamelessnight

🎗 Lab

🎗 Sier

🎗 Fervent

🎗 Lid

🎗 Dox

🎗 MiliKool

🎗 Sippycup

🎗 Tangerines

🎗 Kats

🎗 Arianna

🎗 FloatingMoons

🎗 Sheeply

🎗 TheElf

🎗 Remba

🎗 Kia

🎗 Vee

🎗 Shoua

🎗 Chu

🎗 Siox

🎗 Mattie

🎗Rin

🎗 Mushuk

🎗 Zalila

🎗 Melina

🎗 Yimu

🎗 Elliee

🎗 Borderlands

🎗 Selena

🎗 Alismora

🎗 MatchaTea

🎗Sei

🎗 Kyo

🎗 Crima

🎗 Lunlaena

🎗 Clownz

🎗 Hiroki

🎗 Shark

🎗 Weebus

🎗 Cappster

🎗 Tristan

🎗 Lineara

🎗 Noxey

🎗 Oxygen

🎗 Caedis

🎗 Tamatoa

🎗 Minx

🎗 Tavros

🎗 Martinus

🎗 Permissive

🎗 Emisarakan

🎗 Avox

🎗 Baah

🎗 Melina

🎗 Naruex

🎗 Cupsu

🎗 Hurt

🎗 Deligere

footer.png

• Like 7

I can't wait to see all the support, many people in my family have battled with cancer. My grandmother was a survivor and was with us till she was 94 and my aunt is still fighting it! :cutehehehaaas:

My thoughts are with all of the families and people who are fighting and have come face to face with this disease ♥ Keep fighting.

• Like 5

I have been waiting for this to happen! I will add the overlay shortly!:lazeblush:

My story:

I never had cancer myself but I watched my mom fight with stage four breast cancer throughout my high-school life. It was the most terrifying thing I have ever been through, because I felt useless to help her because I wasn't the one who had it. All I could do for her was stand by her side and stay up endless hours of the night to wait for her to get out of surgery and help her through her treatment plans. Luckily for us her fought and beat cancer from 2014-2017 (Her last surgery was 2017 my junior year but went through radiation in 2018) . I wish I could go into more detail but it was a hard part in my life and I am happy that we on Gasr are bringing awareness to it.

Dove-DPA-160.jpg

Edited by Naden
  • Like 6

I would love to use the overlay for all Cancer I'm not good at putting them on though, also one of friends that no longer alive anymore had brain cancer, and brest cancer, my grandpa had prostate cancer, my step mom had breast cancer, I dim know about the rest of family also my dog Annie dead of cancer to it broke my heart I'm still not over it. 

imageproxy.png

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, LiLMooMoo said:

I would love to use the overlay for all Cancer I'm not good at putting them on though, also one of friends that no longer alive anymore had brain cancer, and brest cancer, my grandpa had prostate cancer, my step mom had breast cancer, I dim know about the rest of family also my dog Annie dead of cancer to it broke my heart I'm still not over it. 

imageproxy.png

I am not sure witch cover you wanted so I put the one for all of them down.

cover.jpg

• Like 2

You are my sunshine
My only sunshine
You make me happy
When sky's are gray
You'll never know, dear
How much I love you
Please don't take my sunshine away

Spoiler

She loved to dance, to sing, to smile.

Even though she had breast cancer 5 times in her lifetime, it never brought her down. She beat it every time but the last time ended up having to get surgery to remove her left breast. Cancer is not why we lost her but it played a huge part in our lives, considering the extent of it. I have a pin with her name on for it, bracelets, and so forth. The song I wrote above this spoiler is what she'd always sing to my sisters and me when we were little, at her wake we wrote "You are my sunshine" above her picture board for a sweet memory. I never met either of my grandpas, they both passed before I was born and I don't talk to my mother's side. My meme was my only true grandparent and she'd give you the shirt off her back. She was the sweetest old lady. We call her meme for grandma in french. My great grandma was also called meme but if you want to laugh, my sister when she was little messed up the name. From that day it just stuck, "Meme the great" Whole family ended up calling her that. I met her once, when I was really little and we traveled to Vermont before she passed from cancer. My meme's husband, my dad's father also passed from lung cancer and even my mother's father, he passed from lung cancer as well. So, yes I'd say cancer has had a huge impact within the family and it runs in it. Cancer also runs strong in my boyfriend's family, he lost his grandparents as well, his brother beat it. Cancer is scary, you might overthink a feeling of a lump in your armpit and run to a family member like "Um, what is this??" Or if you're a girl reading this right now, you might be thinking of that time you felt your boob and had the same scare reaction. Never be hesitant for help in those types of situations.

Well, I will be coming back to edit this with a picture some time soon.

I'm glad the angels are now in peace with the loved one's they've missed dearly over the time.

Edited by TheElf
  • Like 6

I'd love to have the "all cancer" layer to show my support. ;u;

SHEEPLY-DP3.gif.dd5332232c39f06423e5562dff1a1b31.gif and imageproxy.png.32e4ca976400550da4ec9a799b398e4a.png

Spoiler

I've never -personally- had any type of cancer myself (though there's still a chance in the future as I'm still young)

But, a few past family members I've known or family friends- or even friends family members have had cancer; mainly breast cancer or lung cancer.

I've seen how hard of a toll it takes on not only the people with it, but the family members who watch their loved ones suffering in front of them.

I greatly admire everyone who has fought through and won the battle, along with those who stuck by their side through the trying times.

Even if you haven't had any type of cancer yourself, if you've witnessed it; I'd like to think you're just as strong.

Never give up fighting, please. ♥

If you know someone who has passed away from cancer, I'm deeply and incredibly sorry for your loss.

I know how hard the recovery process is, but I hope you remember all the good memories you and the person had.

You will always be supported, and they'll never be forgotten. ♥

I worded this all weird but like hi let me love you all

• Like 6

I don’t see one for ovarian cancer my mother in law lost her best friend and cousin kat to ovarian cancer 4 years ago they didn’t catch it in time, had they’d of caught it in an earlier stage she might still be here today.She tells  me stories about kat often, kat didn’t take shit from anyone and didn’t back down when she knew she was right, she was kind and supportive when it was needed and even helped my mother in law leave her first husband who was super abusive. I never got to meet kat but I wish I would of gotten too. I’d love to see an ovarian cancer Ribbon.

I’m on mobile and not near a comp and won’t be for sometime so if someone could put the “all cancer survivors” overlay on this photo of me irl I’d appreciate it 74850BEA-5D0A-4A92-9960-629343AC6ECB.thumb.jpeg.b7085915be12ca33caba89be33b902c4.jpeg

• Like 6

@Sheeply  dm'd you it. for whatever reason my computer and gasr dont like eachother right now xD

my story
though i have never dealt with cancer myself it has been around me alot.
I have witnessed my grandmother suffer through a battle with lung cancer when i was very little it was very heartbreaking even though i barely understood what had happened until i got older, i just remember seeing her go from always taking care of me and preventing my sister from bullying me to her getting sick and going away. she was my best friend and though its been more than half my life without her i still hold her dear to my heart. The other two happened during high school, my grandfather got super sick with lung cancer he put up quite a fight and even with him being in as much pain as he was he still made sure to make my grandmother smile knowing how worried she as well a sthe rest of my family were for him. When he went it left a big gloomy cloud over my family but we all do our best to remember the good times with him. the last one was a girl at my school she was younger than i but she was one of the kindest souls our school had, brain cancer took her way too young, and though she fought her hardest we all knew in the end it wasn't good enough. she was a friend of my sisters and though i barley spoke to her or knew her i still will hold her dear to my heart with respect  and appreciation to how she never once lashed at any of us while she suffered, she tried to attend school like a normal kid and even while fighting she treated us students and teachers with pure kindness.

Edited by Wrath
my computer hates me
  • Like 6

@FloatingMoons Here you go I had to crop it hope that's okay!

image url.jpg

Edited by Naden
  • Like 1

I put the breast cancer overlay over my DP; main reason being breast cancer runs in my family and many amazing women have struggled with it and overcome it time and time again. I'll continue show my support now & forever :klove:

• Like 5

I'd like to enter this event, please! My grandmother had breast cancer so I not only wanted to do the overlay and this event for her, but for everyone else who has struggled with this in the past or present, or even in the future. Thanks to GASR for always making meaningful events, it always makes my heart feel warm and cozy knowing you guys care about stuff like this. Keep it up!! :walove:

• Like 3

This event means the world to me and the timing is impeccable. I just found out I believe less than a week ago, that my grandmother has Lung Cancer. She is by far my favorite human being and I dread seeing her go when the time comes. I am so glad to see this even, and I can already feel it helping me cope. I am so thankful for all of the people who support and try to fight cancer. I respect everyone who stays strong and perseveres through this tough battle. To everyone who is currently fighting cancer or has someone they love fighting it: Stay strong, and don't lose hope. :blove:

My favorite quote:
"Once you chose hope, anything is possible."

-Christopher Reeve

Soon I will be adding the Lung Cancer overlay to my dp- as soon as I have time.

update: added the overlay.

Edited by AkiraMinami
  • Like 5

I’d like to join! I haven’t dealt with cancer up close and personal but I do have friends who have lost someone to certain cancers and it’s tragic and sucks ;-; 

Also can someone please put the all cancer/survivors overlay on this dp for me? 

Spoiler

0CA3A76F-E8B4-4ED7-9943-DC28E0CC06F3.gif.e4eda7ea9601a2eaa11f3c05fbf92072.gif

• Like 4

Together

Cancer is such a scary word, no matter how it's spoken.
Peace of mind taken for granted, can be crushed and forever broken.

But together we could fight this! 

It's an enemy from within us, striking oh so randomly.
Tomorrow it could be you, for yesterday it was me.

So together we should fight this!

While science is advancing, my heroes still are dying.
Some treatments just aren't working, but still we'll keep on trying.

And together we will fight this!

Research is the magic word, it's what we want to see.
Nothing less than a cancer cure, would mean so much to me.

For together we have fought this!

It'll take support from everyone, to really see this through.
So peace of mind for all of us, can start off fresh and new.

And together we will win!

© Linda Nielsen

• Like 6

@Remba I couldn't get the gif version to work properly so it's just a still picture T_T Sorry. :lazerollcry:

image url (1).jpg

Edited by Naden
  • Like 3

i'd love to join this event!

many of the people on my mother's side of the family has had a run in with breast or lung cancer so i'd like to join in honor of them!

my great-aunt who had breast cancer had a pillow with a quote that said:

“We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey.”

so i thought i would share that in here for everybody else!

i love that y'all keep coming out with such meaningful events, it's truly heartwarming to see

368983942_beartheart.gif.3b344d875b560e5163d42c5c2db8354f.gif

• Like 2

I did all cancer because I've not personally had any encounters with a specific type of cancer.

I've watched the grief through other people and I can only imagine what it's like firsthand. My heart goes out to all of those who have had that placed on them.

• Like 3