Sign in to follow this  
Alismora

Prints Discussion

Prints  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be interested in prints?

• I’d be interested in buying them!
    • I’d be interested in selling them!
    • Not at all.

Hey guys,

I wanted to talk to everyone about prints.  More specifically, is this something this community would be interested in both selling and buying them?  I do see some artists here offer print versions for an additional cost at the commissioners request, but I also see members who don't really know much about prints at all, so I'm not sure where the community stands on this.

An art print is a printed reproduction of an original work of art.  This is a physical print of artwork that you can frame, hang, or use at your personal discretion.  Prints vary in types and sizes, ranging from small photos and postcards to large posters and framed canvases. 

I have some questions I'd like for you guys to answer to the best of your ability to kind of see if this is something GASR could possibly add to a future roadmap.

• What kind of setup would you prefer?  Sell directly from the gallery, add it to the already existing marketplace that already allows you to sell digital files, or something else entirely?
  • What print options would you like to see?  (Regular Prints, Canvas, Photos, Postcards, etc.)
  • Do you want GASR to have full control of printing and shipping, or would you like to pick and choose which parts you'd like to oversee yourself?
    • For example, you can create your own prints and have GASR handle the transactions and tell you where to ship, or GASR can create and ship the prints with no additional effort on your part.
  • Have you ever purchased prints before?

I hope a lot of you get involved in this discussion, even if you aren't familiar with prints in general!

• Like 1

1. I think adding it to the marketplace would probably be a good way of doing things rather than adding it to the gallery. A dedicated section for prints would make it easy for users to go and find what they are looking for; be it custom prints of their existing artwork from an the artist's shop or premade prints.

2. Regular, canvas, and stickers.

3. I honestly do not want to undergo the headache of making my own prints, so yeah you guys can handle it.  When you realize you are "you guys." sigh

4. Yeah.

• Like 2
  • Giveaway Token 1
  • Haha 4
  • Upvote 1

YES. DO IT. GIMME. 

• Hmm. I wanna say add it to the existing marketplace. I feel that'd be the most appropriate place in my mind. You could create a dedicated section, but that would be more work than needed I believe, rather than just integrating it into the marketplace. Though, could you not add it as an option in the GASR store? 
  • Could you elaborate on the difference between regular prints and canvas prints, please? I assume canvas is the largest size (?), if so I'd reeeeeeeally love that personally. Alex and I were discussing printing our full-body commission, but finding a good store etc is a hassle. It'd be really convenient if GASR offered that service to us. People purchase art, and I know some like to print it out, why not just do it all in one place, aka here? But if I had to pick, regular and def canvas. 
  • I personally trust the ability of GASR (not bias), plus it's easier on the customers to, as I said, have it all in one place. (Stop complaining, Cain.) Recanting because a mysterious entity threatened me.
  • No. But I really want to, hence why I'm hype about this idea. 
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I'd greatly be interested in selling prints. 

• What kind of setup would you prefer?  Sell directly from the gallery, add it to the already existing marketplace that already allows you to sell digital files, or something else entirely?
    • the marketplace seems fairly accessible.
    • a dedicated space for prints would be pretty nice. 
  • What print options would you like to see?  (Regular Prints, Canvas, Photos, Postcards, etc.)
    • c-type and giclée prints
    • postcards and posters perhaps
  • Do you want GASR to have full control of printing and shipping, or would you like to pick and choose which parts you'd like to oversee yourself?
    • For example, you can create your own prints and have GASR handle the transactions and tell you where to ship, or GASR can create and ship the prints with no additional effort on your part.
      • pick and choose which parts you'd like to oversee yourself
    • yes. my issue in the past has been disappointment with the quality of prints or the paper which dulls the experience abit
    • my biggest concern is getting a print that will last and isn't flimsy and doesn't dull the colours too much. 

Perhaps a guideline on how to upload images for the best print results would be helpful - such as
- exporting in the right colour profile

- soft proofing images

- what file type to save in to avoid colourbanding 

- file sizes

Edited by SKloss
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I personally am soon going to be selling prints, charms and etc! I think it would be great to have maybe a more broad section? maybe like 'physicall goods' or something like that! However it would bring about problems such as ; people printing the file from home, artists not shipping out items on time, and etc! 

Overall I just think that if an artist is selling prints, theyre prooobbabbly selling other goods as well!

8 minutes ago, fluffans said:

I personally am soon going to be selling prints, charms and etc! I think it would be great to have maybe a more broad section? maybe like 'physicall goods' or something like that! However it would bring about problems such as ; people printing the file from home, artists not shipping out items on time, and etc! 

Overall I just think that if an artist is selling prints, theyre prooobbabbly selling other goods as well!

We do have a hand crafted goods section. Which can be found here: https://gasrforum.net/forums/forum/124-handcrafted-goods/
This discussion is primarily about prints!

• Like 1

:llcool:
Aw, yis. Prints are speakin' my language.

• What kind of setup would you prefer?  As a potential buyer, I would prefer either the marketplace or a newly dedicated place. Those feel the most intuitive to me.
  • What print options would you like to see? I am a big fan of regular & canvas sized prints, postcards, and stickers (as Cain mentioned). 
  • Do you want GASR to have full control of printing and shipping, or would you like to pick and choose which parts you'd like to oversee yourself?
    • Ahm. Good question. From a buyer's perspective, a part of me feels more comfortable letting GASR handle the transactions and shipping for privacy reasons. This is a hugely personal bias though. I dislike providing my address to tons of various parties whereas if I provided it to GASR its in the hands of one party. I also trust that GASR will a) ensure my goods are shipped with care and b) arrive! I'm interested to read other perspectives though.
  • Have you ever purchased prints before? Yes, indeed. I typically buy straight from the artist, so I don't have the experience of a third party being involved in the printing or shipping. I really love buying prints though, so it's something I'm very interested in seeing and using.
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, SKloss said:

I'd greatly be interested in selling prints. 

• the marketplace seems fairly accessible.
    • a dedicated space for prints would be pretty nice. 
    • c-type and giclée prints
    • postcards and posters perhaps
    • For example, you can create your own prints and have GASR handle the transactions and tell you where to ship, or GASR can create and ship the prints with no additional effort on your part.
      • pick and choose which parts you'd like to oversee yourself
    • yes. my issue in the past has been disappointment with the quality of prints or the paper which dulls the experience abit
    • my biggest concern is getting a print that will last and isn't flimsy and doesn't dull the colours too much. 

Perhaps a guideline on how to upload images for the best print results would be helpful - such as
- exporting in the right colour profile

- soft proofing images

- what file type to save in to avoid colourbanding 

- file sizes

I was just looking into giclee since I do see it's quite popular for being high quality!  I appreciate your suggestions, all of them are really useful and I'm building a little document of everything while I do more research on what we'd be able to provide here.  

:phearteyes:

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Alismora said:

I was just looking into giclee since I do see it's quite popular for being high quality!  I appreciate your suggestions, all of them are really useful and I'm building a little document of everything while I do more research on what we'd be able to provide here.  

:phearteyes:

You should try looking into hahnemühle bamboo. It is entirely environmentally friendly, recyclable, biodegradable, resource saving and does not involve the same chemical process as the other papers do. Did i mention it is made entirely from bamboo and cotton fibres? 

(i'm totally trying to sell you on this)

Edited by SKloss
  • Like 2
  • Wink 1
  • Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Cymette said:

From a buyer's perspective, a part of me feels more comfortable letting GASR handle the transactions and shipping for privacy reasons. This is a hugely personal bias though. I dislike providing my address to tons of various parties whereas if I provided it to GASR its in the hands of one party. I also trust that GASR will a) ensure my goods are shipped with care and b) arrive! I'm interested to read other perspectives though.

Oooo, I didn't even think about that, honestly.  I'm sure a lot of people feel the same way with having their personal information in as little hands as possible, but I guess that leads us to another hurdle of options.  If artists had the option to choose who handles all aspects, we could provide a notice on the print product whether or not the item is handled solely by us or the artist directly so that they know if their information is staying put or being sent to someone?  Kind of like Amazon saying "this is sold by a third party" vs "this is sold and shipped by amazon".

8 minutes ago, SKloss said:

You should try looking into hahnemühle bamboo. It is entirely environmentally friendly, recyclable, biodegradable, resource saving and does not involve the same chemical process as the other papers do. Did i mention it is made entirely from bamboo and cotton fibres? 

(i'm totally trying to sell you on this)

BRB GOOGLING.  @SKloss  Ahhhh, that paper sounds nice as hell.  It's also not as expensive as I was expecting it to be.  i saw the $100+ price tag first and was a little shook until I saw it was 25 sheets of a large size LMAO.  I'll definitely note this down as one of the possible paper options!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Alismora said:

Oooo, I didn't even think about that, honestly.  I'm sure a lot of people feel the same way with having their personal information in as little hands as possible, but I guess that leads us to another hurdle of options.  If artists had the option to choose who handles all aspects, we could provide a notice on the print product whether or not the item is handled solely by us or the artist directly so that they know if their information is staying put or being sent to someone?  Kind of like Amazon saying "this is sold by a third party" vs "this is sold and shipped by amazon".

That's a really good idea! I actually use that feature a lot on Amazon.

I am also living for @SKloss's hahnemühle bamboo suggestion - completely sold and would 100% use if given as an option. I actually do usually go for giclee prints, so I'm super happy you mentioned that. :cuteok:

• Wink 1
  • Upvote 2

Here are a few great resources to read through incase anyone is unfamiliar with prepping printwork: 

Differences between C-type & Giclée (Pros/cons): 

https://www.theprintspace.co.uk/photo-art-printing-service/

Must watch: 

Giclée Paper info: https://www.theprintspace.co.uk/professional-giclee-art-printing/

C-type Paper info: https://www.theprintspace.co.uk/professional-photographic-c-type-printing/

Some info I gathered from my previous printing experiences: 

- Make sure your images are exported in atleast 200 dpi. 300 is best. 

- For lossless printing (no colour banding) export in (preferably create in a 16 or 32 bit Channel) : 

• .tiff 32 bits/Channel (preferrable)
  • lossless jpeg (must be manually set)

- Soft proofing should be done via photoshop (or similar) to give an idea what the image will look like on the preferred paper. 

https://www.theprintspace.co.uk/guides/colour-accuracy/ 

How to prep files for printing:

https://www.theprintspace.co.uk/guides/how-to-print/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Honestly I think a dedicated market that YOU guys would manage would be best for both buyer and seller. It's better to just have the website handle your info that every single person you want to buy from.

• Like 1

- I think an entirely new place just for prints would be so cool! 

- All of the above honestly! My favorite type is Canvas, but the others would be very cool as well and allow for the diversity that's here on GASR!

- It would be very helpful for people like myself, who want to make prints but is very unsure of how to do it, if GASR had the option to handle everything but also give the option for those who want the control on their side rather than GASR's. Again, this would allow for the diversity of the people here on GASR to flow~

-I have not, but I very much plan to purchase some in the future. I have yet to find one that speaks to me enough to buy it. 

I really hope my feedback helps!

:bfunceunce:

• Like 2

• What kind of setup would you prefer?  A special section for prints in marketplace would be better.
  • What print options would you like to see?  Regular Prints, Postcards and stickers. I personally prefer these last two.
    •  GASR can create and ship the prints with no additional effort on your part. I think this option is better for both sides buyers and sellers. 
     Yes, mainly stickers and postcard size prints.