Pupper

[2019] Earth Day, A Journey

Vote for your favorite Earth Day submission!  

31 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Select your favorite.

I did a poem awhile ago for New Years and I was really proud of it so I want to try my attempt at making one for earth day since it means so much to me. growing up my parents always told me that the earth was meant to be a beautiful but where I lived it was always really dirty and I saw people always litter and not care about their actions and I remember when I was in school I created a group for cleaning up our environment and it made me feel so wonderful to do something good for home. So here goes ♥

Spoiler

Earth Day is a special day
Bringing great awareness
Learn what you can do to help
Show that you're not careless

Recycling is an easy thing
Placing items in a special bin
Some things that can't be thrown away
Like Paper, Glass & Tin

Conserve resources and find new ways
To get where you're going
Take a walk or a nice bike ride
To keep air pollution from growing

Plant a tree that will thrive
Grow a vegetable garden
There are so many ways you can help keep our planet alive

It all starts with us ♥

giphy.gif

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Happy Earth Day, my fellow Earthlings. GASR's Earth Day events are easily some of my favorites.

I've always been interested in ways to help take care of our planet. I've learned lots of small things people can do, but I still hope to learn more through other community members sharing the ways they keep the Earth in mind! I thought I would give the writing portion a go to share some things I've done and to write down some things I would still like to do in order to celebrate Earth Day this year.

Here are some things I do:
I use reusable water bottles, straws, shopping bags, and ziplock bag alternatives.
I unplug any electronics not in use and I try to minimize their use. 
I started composting in my apartment. 
(I do this by using a stainless steel pot in my freezer and then taking out the frozen contents to be taken to local store that has a compost bin. I don't think the store knows I do that though. . .)
I bought a hanging bee home!

I try to collect any excess water usage into my watering cans. I also set my watering cans out during storms to collect natural rain water for my plants.
I make an effort to buy local and I try to buy products that use the least amount of plastic and/or packaging.
I make many of my own cleaning products so that they are vegan and free of harsh chemicals that could be washed into waterways.

There are still some more things I would like to do, such as:
I recently missed an Earth Day clean up at one of our local trails because I was ill, so I'd really like to find more opportunities to help clean up the local parks.
I want to plant a bee garden.
I want to frequent local farmer's markets more often.
Buy more products in bulk.

I hope this helps spark some ideas for others and I can't wait to see everyone's entries! Together we can save big Mama Earth.:blush:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Pupper Thank you, That poem is probably one of my favorites i've done :lazetears:

• Like 1

I'd like to participate as well, for both the drawing and the experience section. 

mtv earth day GIF

Here are just a few small things that I do around my community & in my home; 

Always make sure to have reusable straws, water bottles, shopping bags or totes.

Try to either grow my own produce/herbs or buy from local town markets

Organize 2 cleanups a month within my community

Slice the plastic holders from either water or Gatorade drinks

Recycle between plastics, cans, paper, and waste

Rip boxes, toilet paper/tissue tubes, mostly things that I can help biodegrade faster

Limit the use of electricity and water usage 

Husband & I are building a UV power grid 

Collect rainwater for my garden & to wash small amounts of clothing

Bicycle to work when the weather allows

Plant flowers to help the bees and birdhouses for our feathered friends

Recently bought a decomposer for my food scraps so that I can feed my own garden 

Also in talks with my town hall for possibly being able to plant trees and flowers around the town

I'm open to any and all suggestions on what else I could possibly do to help our lovely planet. & I can't wait to read more and learn new things I can implement in our daily life.

apple eat GIF by GreenMap

• Like 2

I have always appreciate the earth by doing things i already do :p

and i've learn it from my parents how to take care of trash and be more ecofriendly with the usage like gas electricity and water ^_^

atm im also on green energy  <:

most of the time when i need something, I go by bike ( and no not by car, dont have a car license anyways lol)

i always bring along my backpack or reusable bags.

when going out like walking in the park i always use my reusable bottle

since its cheaper to fill it than buy every 0.5L bottles which i need to trow away anyways :\

i always have a small bag in my bag when i have like wrapper of cookies or candy when there is no any trashbin near :D

when i have like leftover veggies

i give them to my neighbor who feeds it to the chickens xd (bread also)

free eggs yo!

(i dont have a garden nor chickens myself sadly)

i dont let devices in the plug when i dont need it (also it lengthen the lifespan of the machine more)

i dont use a lot of machines when cooking, its mostly just simple tools you can use with your hands only :V

I also work with natural fat from nature and not made of fat of animals like cows to fry things

I've always recycled because its a MUST here!

I think if we all care more for what we do and what we could do to make it better

the world might get a bit better than how it is. 

I get irritated when ppl just trow bottles/junk in the bushes near the buss stop

global warnings scare me :D

Edited by Mattie
  • Like 1

I hope that this is ok for the experience portion, I'll share 2 short stories about what I've seen and what I've done forward.

Spoiler

The story started where my college advised us to do charity work, I've joined a charity group in order to do so. One day the charity group has told us about an activity that involved cleaning the desert. So both my friend & I decided to give it a go. So at that day and time we arrived to the destination. The place was a disaster, bottles and garbage all over the place, people that come to that area seem to also cook and eat. and guess what? the left overs are just there. This made me sad and also disgusted on how us, humans can be just so selfish and don't even care about polluting the places we go to??? We spent 2 hours or 3 just taking a trash bag and collecting all the garbage that was there, from plastic bags, plastic bottles, food and so on. I was hoping that after we do that cleaning it will remain clean, I doubted that tho seeing as how people are. 

The 2nd story quite recent, probably a month or 2 ago, it was on a day where I was late for work. At that point I just decided to go get some air before going to work. We have a lake that is very close by where I work. So after eating breakfast I took a walk around the lake. from the start till the end of it. Seeing how polluted the area was, really pained me more than what I've seen at the desert. It was actually. WORSE. and mind you there are even some animals that go there, such as seagulls or other types of birds. This would literally kill any sea of the creatures of those birds that come by. 

These 2 incidents made me think, like what did the earth or our environment did to us that we treat it that way? If it weren't to them we wouldnt be able to live. These places we are at right now would not even exist. And so I started doing things better in order to help, even a little. Recycling if possible, avoiding the usage of things that would affect our environment. If I am in the mid of the way and there is no trash bin on the way at all. I just wait to arrive to the destination to throw it in the right place. If I am with my friends and they attempt to throw something on the ground or just away and walk by. I would tell them to go back, pick it up and throw it in the bin.

I really hope that people can be more aware about the bad we do, to our environments. Because its definitely more than the good we try to do.

earth.gif

• Like 1

So for the Experience part of this, I just want to say a little about myself and what the earth means to me as well as possibly a short poem.

Being Wiccan, the earth is a sacred thing to me. Mother Earth houses us and keeps us alive, so we should all do what we can to keep her alive in return. Much like how when you are young your parents take care of you with shelter, food, and clothing- Mother Earth takes care of us with oxygen, water, and sunlight.

I mostly draw digitally, as to not waste too much paper so that not as many trees must be cut down. When I do use/have paper I make sure not to buy any more until it is all used up. I use reusable water bottles and recycle all of my plastic bags by reusing them for other things around the house. I try my best to recycle what I can in my recycling garbage bin, despite my family members not caring as much as I do. I also make sure to cut all of the little plastic loops that come on certain sodas so that the animals in the sea don't choke with them stuck around their necks if they somehow end up in the ocean.

Just the beauty of nature makes me want to keep her alive and thriving for centuries to come, even after my time has long past.

Here is a little poem:

Mother Earth has welcomed me,

oh, what a sacred place to be.

Put down your axes and breathe in deep,

for nature holds all that you seek.

Protect her you must,

in perfect love and perfect trust.

You mustn't destroy to get what you want,

lest it be you Mother Earth will forever haunt.

calm my pretty GIF by Jason Clarke

• Like 3

I'd like to participate if it's not too late, preferably the experiences section :klovee:

• Like 2

Hi everyone!

If you're participating in the drawing section the submission deadlines are getting close.

Anyone wishing to participate in the writing section still has time to do so as well!

:klovee:

Make sure all drawing submissions are sent to myself or an Event Coordinator and any writing participants post their experiences here in the topic.

• Like 1

I've misplaced my tablet so I will participate in the experience portion! 

I live pretty close to a low income area and I notice litter piling up in access around the roads, parks, and etc. It's really disheartening to see trash everywhere you turn, so my dad, and thus me, employed the habit of pulling over the car if a particular area is REALLY bad (such as where you can't even see the grass beneath it) and declutter that area to the best of our ability. 

• My father and I use reusable water bottles. 
  • Unplug idle electronics. I don't charge my phone overnight anymore.
  • Try my best to purchase organic food. It supports local farms and is just better for you overall.
  • Be mindful of water. I didn't care about this when I was younger, but nowadays I turn it off when I'm brushing my teeth and during other activities.  
  • Use the reusable bags to carry groceries instead of plastic bags. I always hated when they only put one or two items in one bag. 
  • I absolutely HATE food being wasted, so instead of tossing it I either give it to my dogs, provided it is good for them, or find a way to reincorporate them into another meal. 
  • Donate things like clothing or other useful items I no longer use to avoid it being disposed of in a landfill somewhere. 

I want to do more and a future with more sustainable energy is something to strive for. At the current rate I fear for our childrens futures, but hopefully our generation can make a change for the better! 

Spoiler

Related image

• Like 2

Story:

From a time that I was really young, I'd often times go camping with my family. Every year it became a normal thing & something that was so beyond exciting. The place we went to was nice, it had 2 pools, an arcade, 2 playgrounds, hiking trails, and a few other nice leisurely things. The flora was always extremely vibrant and pretty and the park did was good with litter, you didn't see much of it & if you were caught, you'd be kicked out and forced to pay a fine. However, as the years progressed the park stopped looking as upkept as it did. Trash started accumulating the grounds, garbage was floating in with the birds and got tangled up in with the waterlilies, it started consuming the hiking trails, and don't even get me started in the parks. There were trash bins right there and yet people chose to throw their garbage on the ground, which could affect the wildlife and the environment around it. A lot of us regulars got extremely tired of this and made it a habit to regularly pick up trash & make sure people threw their garbage into the bins. Pretty soon, the campground wasn't nearly as bad. You can never fully get rid of the litter but you can do your part when the time comes to it. Even going around and picking up one foam cup or a candy wrapper can really make a difference in the long haul of things. Even to this day, I've made it a habit to help out where I can and when I see it. Going camping really taught me a great lesson that I've carried over into my older years & I'm grateful for it :fingerguns:

• Like 2

I'd love to participate in the experience section!
Honestly, I don't have many stories to tell, but hopefully this will do.

During elementary school, I remember on Earth day we were allowed to go outside for the majority of the day.
There was a contest held to see who could gather the most litter and properly dispose of it! A bunch of games were held, as well, like tug-of-war.

I'd say that a lot of lessons I was taught as a child stuck with me throughout my life!
Some things I do on a daily basis include:

• I always turn off running water, when it's not being actively used--even in the shower.
  • Unused lights in the house are always turned off, if I can help it.
  • Of course, I recycle properly whenever appropriate!
  • I own many reuseable bottles & straws. If I go out, I make sure they're handy!
  • I bring my own bags with me when shopping for food or other things.
  • Lots of daily tasks like going to work, paying bills, etc., are done online, rather than by using gas.
  • I donate lots of unused things in my home, rather than throwing them away.
  • Most of my unused electronics are shut off. Only my phone is kept on, in case of emergencies!
  • Like 1

This event has concluded, thank you to anyone who participated in either of the sections!

You all did a wonderful job and we hope you had fun and maybe even learned a thing or two. :bgoodjob:

Judging for the drawing section will be available soon, the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners will be chosen by an anonymous vote by the community! We wish you all good luck and want to thank each of you for participating and all your hard work put into these pieces.

• Like 3

Earth Day Submissions

Spoiler

aquatic.thumb.png.a52ab17f26dc6554349404f920ecf60e.png

Spoiler

TundraForGASR.png

Spoiler

spacer.png

Spoiler

e41Z8Cu.jpg

Spoiler

Earth Day Submission v2.png

Spoiler

desert.thumb.png.d063ab3b925b23f6378024a135681aa0.png

Spoiler

1437745379_Box3-Desert-Unsigned.thumb.png.6443336d5541ff9b3698a8324c1b33de.png

Spoiler

lgrassland.thumb.png.998d81ce46a002f560073256e184b341.png

Spoiler

earthday-desert2.thumb.png.216d1d74f61224042168917c82067930.png

• Like 5

id like to take part!! (experience section)

Happy (slightly delayed) Earth Day, my loves! All throughout school, Earth Day was a big part of my community where we would gather up and brainstorm ideas on how to help our lovely world.

I hope some of these encourage you lovelies or inspire you for things you could do, or ways to help improve our Earth in general! :ohug: This might seem long, I'm super sorry!

Here are some things I do:
I use reusable water bottles, and even if they're plastic I tend to use it a couple more times after it's become empty.
I buy garden/farm grown products rather than packaged ones, to reduce the plastic waste.

I have my own garden to grow tomatoes, strawberries, etc. ♥

I leave my watering can outside, and occasionally other dishes for rain water to collect in- so I don't have to use the tap water as much!

When cleaning counters, I use a lemon and baking soda mix for a friendlier clean rather than incredibly harsh chemicals!

Throughout my public and high school times, my school would pair up with people and each class would have a section of the town to go through and pick up/throw out any garbage found.

I properly sort and recycle everything when they're recyclable.

Since I don't have a vehicle, I tend to walk every where as well so I'm not using gas all the time.

I turn water off when it's not being used (brushing teeth, etc)

Here are some things I'd like to do:
I'd love to start selling or giving away things grown in my garden, since we don't exactly have our own local food market here.

Go back to taking walks around the town, and cleaning up any garbage I find.

Create more long-lasting harmful cleaning products, so I can eat my lemons instead of murdering them all the time..

Remember to turn off lights and other electronics went they aren't needed or when there's sun out

Make sure nothing goes to waste, whether it's paper or a cup of milk.

Here's some things you could do:
Create your own garden!

When you're walking, pick up any garbage you find

Recycle and even put rotting vegetables/fruits into soil rather than throwing them out

Turn off your electronics/lights when the sun is out

Go for walks when it's convenient or you're able to, rather than using a vehicle. You could even bike!

Buy more local products, and support the local growers ♥

The voting has officially come to a conclusion! We'd like to take this time to thank everyone who participated in this event and announce our winners. :gettingaway:

Congratulations to the following winners!

1st Place

$15 Amazon Gift Card

@Crima

2nd Place

3 months of Elite

@Paige

3rd Place

Shop Pin for 2 weeks 

@Sapphism

Everyone who participated in the Drawing Section and the Experiences Section will receive one these badges:
earth-day-drawings-2.gif.82ee940ced0a4d617a70d22511056a0e.gif   Earth-Day-experiences.gif.38687c89a7db7a4f41e294bad2a0d90a.gif

If you do not receive your reward within a few days, please contact an Event Coordinator.

• Like 2